Jul 2, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: To say that U.S. striker Alex Morgan is on a scoring tear in 2012 wouldn’t come close to doing justice. She leads the national team with 17 goals in 14 games. She is already in a 16th-place tie (along with National Soccer Hall of Famer Joy Fawcett) on the U.S. women’s all-time scoring list with 27 goals. Next up to be overtaken is Brandi Chastain, who had 30 goals. And all this happened before Morgan turned 23.
Speaking of which, she turns 23 today.
Ahead on the blog today*: Rounding up all the last little scraps from a fabulous European Championship tournament, plus the superlatives from Major League Soccer’s Round 17. And we’ll also have our next “Monday Meh” list, a chronicle of the slightly overrated.
Big Important Story of the Day: Transfer market madness is officially “on” in Europe.
What we should all watch on TV: Around 2:45 p.m. ET today, soccer fans everywhere who are going about their normal business will suddenly feel a little sad, and they won’t know why.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mark Chung
Twitter daps: U.S. men’s national team manager Jürgen Klinsmann (@J_Klinsmann), who spent some time moonlighting as a BBC analyst at Euro 2012: Thanks to the @BBCSport production crew and my colleagues in the studio for a very enjoyable & wonderful experience working the #EURO2012
U.S. international and Anderlecht midfielder Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan): I hope everyone watched today and saw some of those goals by Spain… and then you know that is why our sport is called “The Beautiful Game”
We’ll leave you with this: I suppose it’s OK to guess and wonder about how Spain circa 2010 compares to Brazil circa 1970. Me? Apart from comparing the hard data, I just don’t see how anyone could possibly draw too many hard conclusions about men who lived and played 40 years apart.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team