Jul 3, 2012, 8:34 AM EDT
Spanish goalkeeper Iker Casillas is gaining internet praise today for his call to end the opposition suffering in the final seconds of Sunday’s 4-0 win over Spain.
As the final seconds of the 2012 European Championship ticked away, Spain still had the ball and opportunities to make the final margin even more lopsided against the clearly dejected Italians. So Casillas turned to the nearest referee’s assistant and did what everyone around Europe was surely thinking: asked officials to blow the whistle already:
Respect for our rivals.
Respect for Italia. 4-0, yeah?”
- VIDEO: Chelsea’s Eden Hazard dances around Barcelona to score magical goal 0
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 2
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 13
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 5
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6