Jul 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
Not all the chit-chat and buzz Wednesday at the Home Depot Center was over Omar Gonzalez, the vital defender who returned from winter injury.
There was also a significant flutter about a certain England international who watched the contest from the AEG suite, alongside David Beckham (who was suspended for Wednesday’s loss to Philadelphia):
Frank Lampard had the Twitter monster a stompin’ with his surprising appearance in Southern California.
The 34-year-old midfielder has been linked to the Galaxy for some time. He may not be quite the midfield presence of the Chelsea squads from a few years ago, as he made a record 164 consecutive Premier League appearances for the Blues. Still, he’s a quality midfielder who can still do the business in one of the world’s top associations. That means he could surely get the job done in MLS.
Trouble is, one of the Galaxy’s three biggies (Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane or Beckham) would have to leave in order to absorb the longtime Chelsea man (who is no longer an automatic starting selection at Stamford Bridge, which is one of the reasons he may be in for a change of professional addresses.)
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs