Jul 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EST
Not all the chit-chat and buzz Wednesday at the Home Depot Center was over Omar Gonzalez, the vital defender who returned from winter injury.
There was also a significant flutter about a certain England international who watched the contest from the AEG suite, alongside David Beckham (who was suspended for Wednesday’s loss to Philadelphia):
Frank Lampard had the Twitter monster a stompin’ with his surprising appearance in Southern California.
The 34-year-old midfielder has been linked to the Galaxy for some time. He may not be quite the midfield presence of the Chelsea squads from a few years ago, as he made a record 164 consecutive Premier League appearances for the Blues. Still, he’s a quality midfielder who can still do the business in one of the world’s top associations. That means he could surely get the job done in MLS.
Trouble is, one of the Galaxy’s three biggies (Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane or Beckham) would have to leave in order to absorb the longtime Chelsea man (who is no longer an automatic starting selection at Stamford Bridge, which is one of the reasons he may be in for a change of professional addresses.)
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 2
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3
- Men In Blazers podcast: Ginormous preview of 2015 MLS season with Alexi Lalas 0