Jul 5, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Major League Soccer suspended David Beckham one game for “confrontational and provocative behavior in the final minutes of the [Los Angeles Galaxy]’s 4-3 loss at Stanford Stadium,” which included kicking a ball at downed Sam Cronin and maybe, sort of getting into a fight with the San Jose Earthquakes mascot.
There will be plenty of talk about the suspension — whether it’s long enough (probably not), etc. etc. — but I vote we all just move on. Focusing on this incident for too long doesn’t do anyone any good.
Here’s the official statement:
NEW YORK – The Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee handed LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham a one-game suspension on Thursday for actions that led to a scuffle during the team’s loss to the San Jose Earthquakes last Saturday.
The Disciplinary Committee also fined Beckham an undisclosed amount for his role in the incident, during which he showed confrontational and provocative behavior in the final minutes of the team’s 4-3 loss at Stanford Stadium.
The Committee also stated that it considered his conduct unacceptable and detrimental to the league’s public image. Beckham will serve his suspension during the Galaxy’s matchup at the Chicago Fire on Sunday (3 pm ET, ESPN).
During a stoppage in play in the 93rd minute of the San Jose match, Beckham kicked a ball in the direction of San Jose midfielder Sam Cronin, who was on the ground in the Earthquakes’ penalty box. The ball struck Cronin and set off a near melee between players from the two teams, and Beckham was issued a yellow card for the incident.
Beckham served a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation on Wednesday during the Galaxy’s 2-1 loss to the Philadelphia Union.
The Committee also levied undisclosed fines for recent public criticism of the officials to LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena and Montreal head coach Jesse Marsch.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago