Jul 5, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
You know it’s a big news night when a potentially damaging LA. Galaxy loss at home gets drowned out by the clatter of other big talkers.
Yes, ‘tis true. Lost amid the Frank Lampard hullabaloo, and obscured somewhat by Omar Gonzalez’s remarkably quick return from major knee surgery, was the result itself. The Philadelphia Union left town with all three points, while a tough week for the Galaxy just got a lot more difficult.
Wednesday’s activity at the Home Depot Center included a slew of missed opportunities for the Galaxy and a wonderfully cheeky goal from young striker Jack McInerney. The Union’s 2-1 win also had two huge moments from Union midfielder Michael Farfan (pictured), whose strong wing work created the first goal. Later, Farfan’s stoppage time game-winner, abetted by more of the back line sloppiness that’s been endemic for the Galaxy all year, was a swell little finish.
Said Galaxy manager Bruce Arena: “This is another game where there’s nowhere else to look but inside our locker room. We have people in position to get us results and we don’t get it done.”
Before you check out the goals, consider this: The Union is 3-2 over two competitions under new manager John Hackworth. Having a say in the playoff race would take a mighty push over the coming weeks, but it’s not impossible.
Full match highlights are here:
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 0
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 0
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0