Jul 5, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
The collateral damage just keeps expanding over this terrible situation with Rangers, the fallen and debt-ridden Scottish giants.
Over here, so many U.S. fans are most concerned with the professional fates of three U.S. internationals, including captain Carlos Bocanegra.
Bocanegra and midfielders Maurice Edu and Alejandro Bedoya were among the players still on Rangers’ roster heading into preseason. But yesterday’s news that the historic Glasgow club had been denied admittance into the Scottish Premier League leaves the Yankee trio in professional limbo.
Rangers will be placed into the Scottish Football League, which oversees the country’s second, third and fourth divisions. There is a set in Scotland that wants to see Rangers punished severely for creating such a huge mess by forcing fourth division soccer into the grand Ibrox Stadium, which would leave almost no chance for any of the current first-team Rangers men sticking around.
(It would also mean that Rangers’ earlier possible return into the SPL – and into any place of prominence in Scottish and European soccer – would be for the 2015-16 season.)
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games