Jul 6, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
As we think about the three Yanks stranded by the mess at debt-crushed Rangers, including U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra (pictured), perhaps now is a good time to remind everyone what the current allocation order looks like in MLS.
Bocanegra and Maurice Edu would go through the allocation process if they decided the time was right for an MLS return, which means New England would have first dibs, followed by Toronto, etc.
Remember, the allocation order re-sets each year. I doubt anyone would pass on Bocanegra, or probably Edu either. Even if it meant having to move a player to create salary cap space, a player of Bocanegra’s quality and leadership ability could hardly be turned away.
The tougher choice comes with a player like Alejandro Bedoya, the third American man at Rangers, who probably would be subject to the allocation process as well. If the young winger decided to sign with MLS (less a possibility than the other two, based solely on the fact that he’s never played here), that becomes a much tougher choice. Because once a team takes a player like Bedoya, they fall to the bottom of the list and lose the opportunity for a Bocanegra.
But that’s why they pay these guys – to make the hard choices.
Here’s the current order:
- (1) New England
- (2) Toronto
- (3) Chivas USA
- (4) San Jose
- (5) DC United
- (6) Portland
- (7) Chicago
- (8) Columbus
- (9) Dallas
- (10) New York
- (11) Vancouver
- (12) Seattle
- (13) Kansas City
- (14) Salt Lake
- (15) Houston
- (16) Los Angeles
- (17) Montreal (Eddie Johnson)
- (18) Colorado (Kamani Hill)
- (19) Philadelphia (Bakary Soumare)
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 16
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (16)