Jul 6, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: Double threat Kenny Deuchar hits the big 3-1. The former Real Salt Lake forward once scored 11 goals in a single friendly. He’s also a practicing doctor.
And Zé Roberto (pictured) turns 37. The time, where does it go? And why is my hair not that cool?
Ahead on the blog today*: The weekend to come in MLS action; a little more about goal-line technology; some transfer rumors and realities; whatever else pops into the brilliant mind of some Steve Davis
Big Important Stories of the Day: Can the Montreal Impact, fueled by the arrival of Alessandro Nesta and Marco Di Vaio, make a late-season push for the playoffs?
What we should all watch on TV: Guatemala vs Mexico (CONCACAF TV; 10 p.m.) in the CONCACAF Futsal Championships. It don’t get much better than this. (Well, it does, but just not tonight.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Carlos Llamosa
Charlie Davies (@CharlieDavies9) hands out some daps for the return of his boy, Omar Gonzalez, from injury:
@Omar4Gonzalez congrats on getting back kid! All the hard work paid off. Keep it going
On the journalist front, Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) check in on Brazil’s monster squad for London: Brazil Olympic squad includes Neymar, Marcelo, Hulk, Pato, Thiago Silva, Ganso, Lucas, Rafael.
PST background noise while blogging today: The new Raveonettes album.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago