Jul 6, 2012, 7:00 AM EST
Soccer birthdays: Double threat Kenny Deuchar hits the big 3-1. The former Real Salt Lake forward once scored 11 goals in a single friendly. He’s also a practicing doctor.
And Zé Roberto (pictured) turns 37. The time, where does it go? And why is my hair not that cool?
Ahead on the blog today*: The weekend to come in MLS action; a little more about goal-line technology; some transfer rumors and realities; whatever else pops into the brilliant mind of some Steve Davis
Big Important Stories of the Day: Can the Montreal Impact, fueled by the arrival of Alessandro Nesta and Marco Di Vaio, make a late-season push for the playoffs?
What we should all watch on TV: Guatemala vs Mexico (CONCACAF TV; 10 p.m.) in the CONCACAF Futsal Championships. It don’t get much better than this. (Well, it does, but just not tonight.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Carlos Llamosa
Charlie Davies (@CharlieDavies9) hands out some daps for the return of his boy, Omar Gonzalez, from injury:
@Omar4Gonzalez congrats on getting back kid! All the hard work paid off. Keep it going
On the journalist front, Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) check in on Brazil’s monster squad for London: Brazil Olympic squad includes Neymar, Marcelo, Hulk, Pato, Thiago Silva, Ganso, Lucas, Rafael.
PST background noise while blogging today: The new Raveonettes album.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 3
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0