Jul 6, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
MLSSoccer.com just put up a piece titled “Nesta: What the players had to say” which, as advertised, gave us thoughts from some prominent Impact personalities on the arrival of Alessandro Nesta. Player quotes being what they were, I expected a series of generic superlatives featuring a grab bag of officially sanctioned adjectives; plaudits which, put together, don’t give us anything unexpected.
And … yeah, everybody’s excited to have the Milan legend around. Why wouldn’t they be? It’s a huge signing. I’m just not sure quote after deliciously vanilla quote is the best way to capture the moment.
It got me to thinking: What else could I do with these quotes. Answer: Word jumble!
Oh, man – I love these. Some people call them word clouds, but jumble’s such an underused word. Regardless, they let you take a ton of information, drop them into an app (like the one at Wordle.net) and get a quaint, fun view of the story’s most prominent words.Taken as a group, they give you some insight into the story’s tone.
So you take out all the proper nouns, and you see contract, coach, construction, season, job, players, now, and departure are all prominently features. Does that tell us anything about today’s story? Not really, which means I’m a horrible writer or these exercise shouldn’t be taken too seriously (not that those are independent thoughts).
So let’s see what MLS’s Nesta quote sheet tells us:
Defender, group, alongside, experience, incredible, learn, watching, positive, great.
Straight out of the grab bag.
- Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago