Jul 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Last Houston Dynamo visit to Livestrong Sporting Park, things went very right for the visitors and so very wrong for SKC.
That was last November, when Dominic Kinnear’s men went into suburban Kansas City, lost their top player to injury (Brad Davis) but somehow carried away the Eastern Conference championship and a trip to the MLS Cup final.
What manager Peter Vermes told the Kansas City Star:
“It’s always in the back of the guys’ minds that we lost the Eastern Conference (final to Houston), but I don’t think that’s the motivation. We have a chance to move into first place, which we’d like to take advantage of if we can.”
I’m thinking it’s a little closer to the front of their minds. But Vermes does have a point; SKC needs win and points, period.
Since opening the season with such flourish, SKC is just 3-5-2. Goal scoring was mostly a dry-creek trickle in June, but the team did push three past Montreal up in Canada during the week.
Meanwhile, here’s what’s on the Dynamo minds as they try to contain Graham Zusi and the rest of the SKC attack.
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (26)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public