Jul 7, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
FC Dallas had a glistening opportunity to re-insert itself into the Western Conference playoff race: three consecutive matches at home, including two against some of the lesser fruit of MLS.
Here’s how it worked out:
- Chivas USA, 0-0 draw
- Toronto FC, 1-1 draw
- San Jose, 0-0 draw
Yes, one goal and three points. So FC Dallas remains in last place in the West, drifting ever further from one of those post-season berths.
The offense simply isn’t good enough around FC Dallas Stadium right now. Blas Perez’s injury certainly took some sting from the attack, but FC Dallas’ inability to create some depth at the position is to blame, too.
Related, the Brek Shea at striker experiment at striker really should be over. FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman thought he had no other choice but to ask the winger to play in his team’s most advanced position, so it was probably worth a shot. But Shea simply doesn’t look comfortable there; he just doesn’t have the experience to put himself in more dangerous spots.
Shea had 11 goals and 4 assists in last year’s breakthrough campaign. He has three goals and no assists in half the season this year (injuries and Olympic qualifier duty have limited him to 12 games).
After playing just over 30 minutes on Wednesday, David Ferreira went all 90 minutes Saturday, so that’s something the Texas club can feel good about, at least.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games