Jul 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
I’m on the record about how David Beckham’s previous preferential treatment from Major League Soccer was wrong, but his one game suspension for shenanigans last week in San Jose (one match) is about right.
But I still have two quick things to say about brawlin’ Beckham and the latest Galaxy brouhaha:
First, not only did the David Beckham Experiment work, it’s still working. Anything that happens around the former England captain gins up the MLS buzz. So in that regard, even this latest episode, landing somewhere between unbecoming and plain silly as it did, has a certain desirable effect.
People who might not otherwise mention MLS find themselves doing just that – mentioning MLS. The man is a walking talking point like that.
And people who do talk about soccer, like Alexi Lalas, are sending out funny Tweets about it all. (Good one, dude.)
Otherwise, I do want to leave it with this: Thank you little baby Jesus for this world of the YouTube and the ubiquitous, alert camera lens. Because the San Jose Earthquakes mascot did somehow get mixed up in things last week as a furious Beckham left the field. And we have the hilarious pictures to prove it.
Short, but hilarious. If this thing had happened I couldn’t get to watch it, but could only hear about it, my world would be a darker and sadder place today.
(I crack up every time I watch this thing, when the mascot gets into the picture!)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 3
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 25
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (25)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team