Jul 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
I’m on the record about how David Beckham’s previous preferential treatment from Major League Soccer was wrong, but his one game suspension for shenanigans last week in San Jose (one match) is about right.
But I still have two quick things to say about brawlin’ Beckham and the latest Galaxy brouhaha:
First, not only did the David Beckham Experiment work, it’s still working. Anything that happens around the former England captain gins up the MLS buzz. So in that regard, even this latest episode, landing somewhere between unbecoming and plain silly as it did, has a certain desirable effect.
People who might not otherwise mention MLS find themselves doing just that – mentioning MLS. The man is a walking talking point like that.
And people who do talk about soccer, like Alexi Lalas, are sending out funny Tweets about it all. (Good one, dude.)
Otherwise, I do want to leave it with this: Thank you little baby Jesus for this world of the YouTube and the ubiquitous, alert camera lens. Because the San Jose Earthquakes mascot did somehow get mixed up in things last week as a furious Beckham left the field. And we have the hilarious pictures to prove it.
Short, but hilarious. If this thing had happened I couldn’t get to watch it, but could only hear about it, my world would be a darker and sadder place today.
(I crack up every time I watch this thing, when the mascot gets into the picture!)
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season