Jul 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
I’m on the record about how David Beckham’s previous preferential treatment from Major League Soccer was wrong, but his one game suspension for shenanigans last week in San Jose (one match) is about right.
But I still have two quick things to say about brawlin’ Beckham and the latest Galaxy brouhaha:
First, not only did the David Beckham Experiment work, it’s still working. Anything that happens around the former England captain gins up the MLS buzz. So in that regard, even this latest episode, landing somewhere between unbecoming and plain silly as it did, has a certain desirable effect.
People who might not otherwise mention MLS find themselves doing just that – mentioning MLS. The man is a walking talking point like that.
And people who do talk about soccer, like Alexi Lalas, are sending out funny Tweets about it all. (Good one, dude.)
Otherwise, I do want to leave it with this: Thank you little baby Jesus for this world of the YouTube and the ubiquitous, alert camera lens. Because the San Jose Earthquakes mascot did somehow get mixed up in things last week as a furious Beckham left the field. And we have the hilarious pictures to prove it.
Short, but hilarious. If this thing had happened I couldn’t get to watch it, but could only hear about it, my world would be a darker and sadder place today.
(I crack up every time I watch this thing, when the mascot gets into the picture!)
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0