Jul 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
I’m on the record about how David Beckham’s previous preferential treatment from Major League Soccer was wrong, but his one game suspension for shenanigans last week in San Jose (one match) is about right.
But I still have two quick things to say about brawlin’ Beckham and the latest Galaxy brouhaha:
First, not only did the David Beckham Experiment work, it’s still working. Anything that happens around the former England captain gins up the MLS buzz. So in that regard, even this latest episode, landing somewhere between unbecoming and plain silly as it did, has a certain desirable effect.
People who might not otherwise mention MLS find themselves doing just that – mentioning MLS. The man is a walking talking point like that.
And people who do talk about soccer, like Alexi Lalas, are sending out funny Tweets about it all. (Good one, dude.)
Otherwise, I do want to leave it with this: Thank you little baby Jesus for this world of the YouTube and the ubiquitous, alert camera lens. Because the San Jose Earthquakes mascot did somehow get mixed up in things last week as a furious Beckham left the field. And we have the hilarious pictures to prove it.
Short, but hilarious. If this thing had happened I couldn’t get to watch it, but could only hear about it, my world would be a darker and sadder place today.
(I crack up every time I watch this thing, when the mascot gets into the picture!)
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 0
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 16
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4