Jul 8, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
For Real Salt Lake to shake the June funk that was threatening July, the men of Rio Tinto surely needed some special performances. Alvaro Saborio delivered one Saturday, netting a hat trick in a 3-0 win over Portland.
It was Major League Soccer’s fourth hat trick this year. He joins:
- David Estrada, Seattle
- Chris Pontius, D.C. United
- Thierry Henry, New York
RSL’s Costa Rican international also capped off a frustrating 251-minute scoreless run for his team. That was the club’s deepest stretch without a goal since May of 2009.
Said Saborio: “I am very happy. First, because we need the win, and second for my hat trick. … Three goals, I’ve only scored a few times in my career and I feel very happy.”
Watch his hat trick here:
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 0
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6