Jul 8, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
For Real Salt Lake to shake the June funk that was threatening July, the men of Rio Tinto surely needed some special performances. Alvaro Saborio delivered one Saturday, netting a hat trick in a 3-0 win over Portland.
It was Major League Soccer’s fourth hat trick this year. He joins:
- David Estrada, Seattle
- Chris Pontius, D.C. United
- Thierry Henry, New York
RSL’s Costa Rican international also capped off a frustrating 251-minute scoreless run for his team. That was the club’s deepest stretch without a goal since May of 2009.
Said Saborio: “I am very happy. First, because we need the win, and second for my hat trick. … Three goals, I’ve only scored a few times in my career and I feel very happy.”
Watch his hat trick here:
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9