Jul 8, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
For Real Salt Lake to shake the June funk that was threatening July, the men of Rio Tinto surely needed some special performances. Alvaro Saborio delivered one Saturday, netting a hat trick in a 3-0 win over Portland.
It was Major League Soccer’s fourth hat trick this year. He joins:
- David Estrada, Seattle
- Chris Pontius, D.C. United
- Thierry Henry, New York
RSL’s Costa Rican international also capped off a frustrating 251-minute scoreless run for his team. That was the club’s deepest stretch without a goal since May of 2009.
Said Saborio: “I am very happy. First, because we need the win, and second for my hat trick. … Three goals, I’ve only scored a few times in my career and I feel very happy.”
Watch his hat trick here:
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 5
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 3