Jul 8, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
For Real Salt Lake to shake the June funk that was threatening July, the men of Rio Tinto surely needed some special performances. Alvaro Saborio delivered one Saturday, netting a hat trick in a 3-0 win over Portland.
It was Major League Soccer’s fourth hat trick this year. He joins:
- David Estrada, Seattle
- Chris Pontius, D.C. United
- Thierry Henry, New York
RSL’s Costa Rican international also capped off a frustrating 251-minute scoreless run for his team. That was the club’s deepest stretch without a goal since May of 2009.
Said Saborio: “I am very happy. First, because we need the win, and second for my hat trick. … Three goals, I’ve only scored a few times in my career and I feel very happy.”
Watch his hat trick here:
- Quick Six: Liverpool inches closer, Moyes’ reception, and the rest of the headlines from the BPL weekend 0
- WATCH: Blackpool coach sent off after hitting own player in face 0
- Report: Majority of Mexico’s World Cup roster slots are set 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Bedoya buries one, Boyd bags brace 1
- David Moyes vilified on return to Everton, as Manchester United nightmare continues 1
- Everton 2-0 Manchester United: Toffees rampant in miserable return for Moyes 1