Jul 8, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
If it wasn’t enough that Steve Zakuani finally got back on the field after 14 long months of rehabilitation and delayed returns, what poignancy that his emotional comeback happened against the very same team, and against the very same remorseful man who had started it all, Rapids midfielder Brian Mullan.
Here what the Seattle Sounders winger had to say after getting on the field for the last few minutes of Saturday’s 2-1 win over Colorado:
I’m honestly overwhelmed. I tried to visualize what that moment would be like for over a year. It’s something I can’t describe. Those fans are something else. I think they outdid themselves again tonight — it was so loud. I’m emotional, obviously. It’s a final check-mark I had in my mind and I’m also happy the team won, obviously, so it’s a perfect night all-around for everyone involved in the Sounders, this organization. I’m glad we got the win. I’m glad I came in. Now it’s just we move on from here.”
And what he had to say about the post-game hug and brief exchange with Mullan, with whom he exchanged jerseys:
I’ve said from Day 1 I had no issues with him. I had forgiven him a long time ago. There were no problems, but I think that was good to have that public moment for closure. I think he can go on with his career, and I can try to do the same with my career. I have a long road ahead of me still in terms of just getting back to playing consistently and consistently well. So that’s good. He takes my shirt home, I’ll take his shirt home and I think that chapter is closed.”
Richard Farley has more on the match itself here.
- Premier League final day roundup: 2014-15 season finishes with a flourish 0
- West Ham announce Sam Allardyce will not return as manager 0
- Hull City 0-0 Manchester United: Tigers go down after squandering chances 0
- Newcastle United 2-0 West Ham United: Sissoko, Jonas leave nothing to chance 0
- VIDEO: Theo Walcott’s first-half hat trick will live in Boaz Myhill’s dreams 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0