Jul 9, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: For a while, it must have been cool for young Alecko Eskandarian to share a birthday with the great O.J. Simpson. Then 1994 happened; O.J. wasn’t so great and it wasn’t so cool anymore. Any-who, happy birthday to Eskandarian, the former D.C. United (and other) forward, who had to hang ‘em up early due to concussion related troubles.
“Esky” turns 30 today. At least he’s still got Tom Hanks and Kelly McGillis to share a birthday with. They’re both still pretty cool, right?
Oh, and England international Ashley Young, too. He turns 27.
Ahead on the blog today*: Some thoughts on the MLS All-Star starters that were announced Sunday – who aren’t really the starters. We’ll explain. Also the MLS Team of the Week and Player of the Week.
Big Important Stories of the Day: Just get used to it, I’m going to say transfer news through most of the month.
What we should all watch on TV: Another sad summer Monday with nary a real match on TV. Thank heavens for that rivalries in soccer series I put on DVR a while back, the one labeled “In case of emergency …”
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Amanda Cromwell
MLSSoccer.com content producer Jason Saghini (@JasonSaghini): Wow, crazy stuff at PPL… TOR can’t buy a goal (NOTE: Goals are not for sale in Major League Soccer… this isn’t Italy… I kid, I kid)
New York Red Bulls defender Heath Pearce (@HeathGPearce) on his All-Star appearance: Thanks to all my family, friends and fans for their votes. It’s truly an honor. I appreciate YOU ALL . A thousand thanks!! #3peat
PST background noise while blogging today: Funky little mixtapes from DJ Sissy Ross
We’ll leave you with this: That photo you see (above, right) is apropos of nothing; I just like using random soccer pictures on the daily re-set.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago