Jul 10, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthdays: Tough luck for Mario Gomez, the German striker, whose team was dumped out of Euro 2012 by a sassy bunch of talented Italians. Oh, well … Happy 27th birthday anyway.
Ludovic Giuly, a former French international whose stops include Lyon, Barcelona and Roma, turns 36.
Ahead on the blog today*: Some thoughts on dysfunctional relationships along the management chain at some Major League Soccer clubs.
Big Important Stories of the Day: Clint Dempsey seems awful close to a move north, out of cozy Craven Cottage and into Liverpool. Also, some Portland Timbers managerial speculation.
What we should all watch on TV: Hurry up and get here 2012-2013 season. Pretty please.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Danny Szetela
MLSSoccer.com writer Jonah Freedman (@jonahfreedman): It’s rarely fun for any manager to fire an employee. But you get the sense today’s decision was really, really hard for Merritt Paulson.
Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson): Plenty of soccer left to play in 2012. Please keep an open mind and give team some time to continue to develop. No instant miracle cure.
PST background noise while blogging today: Going old school and listening to CDs. Probably a little U2 – that way I hear some things that didn’t make the iTunes cut.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 5
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team