Jul 10, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
If reports out of the UK prove true, that U.S. international Clint Dempsey is about to sign with Liverpool, there’s one element to all this tricky transfer math that doesn’t quite add up:
Playing in Champions League always seemed to be Dempsey’s primary motivation for escaping his bigger-fish-smaller-pond status at Fulham, and a noble aim it is. Fulham is club where the main mission each year is to dodge the scourge of relegation, to remain a Premier League club and possibly to nick the occasional Europa League spot or make some headway in the Carling Cup.
Obviously, a Champions League berth would be lovely around Craven Cottage, but it’s never truly a realistic target.
Liverpool dwells among the clubs of higher ambition, which is presumably why Dempsey would sign up for Anfield duty. But … the reality is that Liverpool isn’t a Champions League Club this year.
Liverpool finished 8th last year; Fulham placed 9th – both well out of Champions League view.
Liverpool does have a chance at Europa League action in the 2012-13 season, but Dempsey’s got that t-shirt already. In fact, he did well back in the Cottagers’ only Europa run, when current England boss Roy Hodgson took the West London team into the continental competition in 2008-09.
Which is yet another reason, we assume, that Liverpool is willing to spend about $11.6 million on Dempsey. Now they just have to get back into Champions League business.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public