Jul 11, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
Interim Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth seems to have things pointed north at PPL Park, where a new infusion of confidence has shown the Union to wins in four of its last five.
But looking at the standings, finding a way into the 2012 playoffs looks awful tricky. It’s certainly not beyond the question; again, the Union is showing terrific signs of life.
Trouble is, half the Eastern Conference teams will not get a post-season berth, and a lot of damage was done to the Union playoff chances in March, April and May. And the competition is tough. New England is playing well and a Columbus team that’s always tough to beat will remain in the conversation. And those are teams that currently are above the Union but not currently occupying playoff positions. So, in order to concoct a scenario where Philadelphia breaks the post-season seal, you’d have to pick out which three teams they’ll pass.
Expansion Montreal could be had. Chicago or Houston? Maybe, but that wouldn’t be easy; they’ll win their share over the next three months. New York, D.C. United or Sporting Kansas City? I just don’t see that.
So all of that makes tonight’s contest against Sporting Kansas City at PPL Park absolutely vital. No, a trip to the U.S. Open Cup final and a chance at the secondary trophy is not tantamount to success in MLS playoffs – but it’s something. And an increasingly meaningful “something at that.”
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 5
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1