Jul 11, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
So the MLS Disciplinary Committee’s consistency is being called into question? Say, haven’t we heard that before?
I generally like Major League Soccer’s course correction in reducing the temperature and level of aggression this year. Said so many times. If anything, there are still referees who don’t get it, who refuse to properly police the hackers and foulers of MLS – and who probably should be removed from the pool by the U.S. and Canadian feds.
Still, league-level movement in the right direction is better than status quo, no doubt.
So I’ve defended almost every retroactive suspension handed down by the Disciplinary Committee. But I can’t quite get on board with Tuesday’s call; New England’s Kelyn Rowe will serve a one-game ban for Sunday’s 87th minute challenge on New York goalkeeper Ryan Meara.
That challenge isn’t in the MLS highlight package, so I can’t show it to you. But as studious and learned journalist Kyle McCarthy pointed out, it looks a whole lot like the one below.
(UPDATE: My bad! They do have it. Watch it after the Nyassi clip. Or before. Totally your call.)
The clip is from Sanna Nyassi, whose challenge back in April on Portland goalkeeper Troy Perkins was more dangerous and reckless in some ways than Rowe’s.
Said Perkins afterward: “I thought he got my eye. I thought my eye was gone. I’ve seen the tackle many times … it’s bad. Luckily, I wasn’t knocked out.”
His coach at the time, John Spencer, angrily protested, “That’s a stone cold red card for me.”
But it wasn’t for the Disciplinary Committee, which reviewed the sequence and declined action. Fair enough … but which one is it? Ban or no ban? Because they really are quite similar?
And now Rowe’s challenge on Meara:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
Jun 17, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
The U.S. midfielder has successfully completed the concussion recovery protocol:
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public