Jul 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The final is set for this year’s Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which will happen inside Kansas City’s Livestrong Sporting Park. Seattle will meet Sporting Kansas City there to crown the 2012 winner.
How significant is home field advantage? Since Major League Soccer was born (adding a top, fully professional layer to the Open Cup field), home teams are 11-3 in the final.
The final was played on neutral ground twice in that period. So, throw those out and we see what hosting the final means. Sites were selected before Wednesday’s semifinals, based on sealed bids.
Seattle was the last team to prevail on the road, upsetting D.C. United at RFK Stadium three years ago. Since then, the Sounders have successfully defended their title in two finals, both on home ground.
Kansas City doesn’t quite have the same Open Cup chops, appearing in only one final. Then known as the Wizards, Kansas City beat Chicago at Arrowhead Stadium to claim the organization’s second trophy (in addition to an MLS Cup in 2000).
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public