Jul 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The final is set for this year’s Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which will happen inside Kansas City’s Livestrong Sporting Park. Seattle will meet Sporting Kansas City there to crown the 2012 winner.
How significant is home field advantage? Since Major League Soccer was born (adding a top, fully professional layer to the Open Cup field), home teams are 11-3 in the final.
The final was played on neutral ground twice in that period. So, throw those out and we see what hosting the final means. Sites were selected before Wednesday’s semifinals, based on sealed bids.
Seattle was the last team to prevail on the road, upsetting D.C. United at RFK Stadium three years ago. Since then, the Sounders have successfully defended their title in two finals, both on home ground.
Kansas City doesn’t quite have the same Open Cup chops, appearing in only one final. Then known as the Wizards, Kansas City beat Chicago at Arrowhead Stadium to claim the organization’s second trophy (in addition to an MLS Cup in 2000).
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0