Jul 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
The final is set for this year’s Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which will happen inside Kansas City’s Livestrong Sporting Park. Seattle will meet Sporting Kansas City there to crown the 2012 winner.
How significant is home field advantage? Since Major League Soccer was born (adding a top, fully professional layer to the Open Cup field), home teams are 11-3 in the final.
The final was played on neutral ground twice in that period. So, throw those out and we see what hosting the final means. Sites were selected before Wednesday’s semifinals, based on sealed bids.
Seattle was the last team to prevail on the road, upsetting D.C. United at RFK Stadium three years ago. Since then, the Sounders have successfully defended their title in two finals, both on home ground.
Kansas City doesn’t quite have the same Open Cup chops, appearing in only one final. Then known as the Wizards, Kansas City beat Chicago at Arrowhead Stadium to claim the organization’s second trophy (in addition to an MLS Cup in 2000).
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 0
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 3
- Geoff Cameron: Eden Hazard is “best I’ve played against” in Premier League 0