Jul 12, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
Every so often, we soccer fans will be minding our own business, happily debating the latest transfer rumor (Clint Dempsey to Liverpool and Everton), when someone in the media gets the bright idea that we’d win the World Cup if only the best athletes in America played soccer.
It’s such an absurd argument I don’t even want to point out the multiple fallacies, but that’s not the point here. The point is Darren Mattocks jumped all over that storyline last night.
By now, I’m sure you’ve seen it: A lazy cross comes in, the Vancouver Whitecaps forward elevates over defender Logan Emory, outjumps the right fist(!) of goalkeeper Milos Kocic, and heads the ball into the net.
It’s absurdly, ridiculously, unfathomably athletic. Steve went with “Jordan-esque, no exaggeration.” And, no exaggeration, he’s absolutely correct. On the Moments that Display Feats of Athleticism pantheon, Mattocks’ leap is top shelf.
The next time someone starts talking about LeBron playing soccer, just point them this way.
(Is it time to wonder how good we’d be at basketball if the country’s best athlete’s played the sport? No, we’re better than that. But it’s still fun to write.)
I know we had it up earlier, but I’m posting the video again. If any highlight deserves to be seen twice, it’s this one.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games