Jul 12, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Birthdays of Note: Given the health scare Antonio Cassano survived at the end of 2011, today’s birthday has to have special meaning. The Milan attacker, coming off a strong European Championships, turns 30 on Thursday. Yeah, only 30. Seems like he’s been around a lot longer. At Euro 2012, Cassano started all six matches for Italy, registering the 10th goal of his international career as the Azzurri defeated Ireland 2-0 in group stage.
Big Important Story of the Day: As was noted in the comments to yesterday’s re-set, the John Terry trial persists in London. Is the story big? I guess. It probably should be bigger. Seems most people just can’t get into it, which is understandable. This incident has already been played out in the court of public opinion. Who wants to jump back in? Not me. Nonetheless, the proceedings persist, one day after teammate Ashley Cole took the stand, recounted events, and said he didn’t think the case should be in court.
Real Big Important Story of the Day: We haven’t touched on it here, because how many times can you retell the same story? But FIFA reporting that former president Joao Havelange “received millions in bribes” is big, it is important, but it’s also accepted knowledge, at this point. Reading that will incense those who think the world should rise up against FIFA and get an organization in place that will be free of such corruptions. There certainly were sentiments leaning in that direction on Twitter.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Rick Davis
Twitter daps: Reactions from the victors after yesterday’s U.S. Open Cup semifinals:
PST background noise while blogging today: I’m playing this game with Spotify called “how many songs `til Tom Waits.” Did you know Spotify can get you from Natalie Merchant to Tom in six songs? I would have bet the under on that one.
We’ll leave you with this: Italy expert James Horncastle tweeted this in the wee U.S. hours on Thursday:
Who you do it? Would ya’?
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League
- Gaston Fernandez Unstoppable in Major League Soccer Debut