Apparently stung, David Beckham hits back at league, critics

Jul 13, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT

David Beckham

Seems that some people never remember the “first rule of holes.” So let’s review:

“When you find yourself in one, stop digging!”

David Beckham recently got himself suspended for a match for lashing out. I say, we’ve mowed that particular patch of grass. A lot. So let’s just move on.

Only, as he returned this week Beckham wasn’t quite ready to move on, taking some verbal jabs at the league, at referees and at his critics – and his comments carry a hint of entitlement and some lacking self-awareness.

Did I deserve a yellow card? Yeah, I probably did deserve a yellow card. Because of my reaction. But did I deserve the second game? That’s for other people to talk about, and other people talk about it very well, by the way.”

Oh? Not happy that people are discussing you, your kind and your situations? Also known as, “The very reason you’re here!”

Where to start with that one?  If you sign up to be the face of the league, you’re the face of the league in good times and bad.  You can’t get paid all that money and then ask the cameras to stop rolling whenever the light becomes less flattering.

More generally, a man who fits as many TV commercials, runways slots and cover model shots into his life as humanly possible, and a man who builds a brand that pretty much prints currency, does not get to complain when people talk about him. Those are the rules. He should know so; he’s been in this game forever.

When asked about critics who felt the one-game ban was too light, that perhaps three or four games was more commensurate with his actions, he had this to say.

Yeah, well, they’re the jealous ones, unfortunately. They’re the ones that like to sit in front of the TV and discuss my life even when I’m not playing the game. Maybe I’m at a tennis game – they like to discuss that. There’s people that maybe like to get in the limelight a little too much.”

I’m on the record as saying one game was right. But c’mon! He’s playing the limelight card? That’s the same one he plays with referees who don’t acquiesce to his demands on the field. He accuses them of wanting to be “star of the show.”

Maybe. There is some ego involved in refereeing. And certainly in my business, too.

But there’s another way of looking at it, Mr. Beckham. Maybe these mere mortals are just doing their jobs.

Referees blow the whistle and enforce the rules; so, yes, sometimes they have to make you behave. You’ve been granted more leniency than anyone in MLS, so don’t take it there.

Journalists, bloggers and TV analysts do their thing, too. We talk about all the players. Or haven’t you noticed?

Beckham lashed out against San Jose two weeks ago. He lost his cool. He got tagged by the league for it. That stuff happens. All he had to do was take his medicine like a big boy, come back and play nice and all would be forgiven. His latest comments, falling on the bitter side, just keep it all in the news cycle a little longer.

Now that I’ve had my say, please excuse me. I have to go bask in my limelight.

Now, just where did I put that doggone limelight?

1. solador78 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Becks is just jealous that Katie Holmes got out, but he’s still stuck in LA.

If he had been allowed to leave for PSG, maybe things would be different.

2. drewsylvania - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

No Beckham fan, but this post reeks of the sort of jealousy Beckham’s talking about.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Agreed.

• edpeters101 - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Agree with agreed..

3. drchale - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM

“His latest comments, falling on the bitter side, just keep it all in the news cycle a little longer.”

PST, mirror.

And Solador, Beckham’s contract was up in December. No one was forcing him to stay or go anywhere. He could have gone anywhere he wanted, including PSG. He chose LA.

• solador78 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It’s not like Tom Cruise and his friends pressured FIFA to get PSG to withdraw the offer or anything.

Now Becks is threatening to boycott the MLS Allstar game like Alexander Ovechkin did.

• drchale - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

When did Alexander Ovechkin boycott the MLS All Star game?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You didn’t know Ovechkin quit hockey for soccer? Shame-shame!

• solador78 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wow, one guy takes a logic course in college and suddenly everybody thinks they’re a comedian.

4. florida727 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

“When you find yourself in one, stop digging! Davis Beckham got himself suspended for a match for lashing out. I say, we’ve mowed that particular patch of grass. A lot. So let’s just move on.”

———————————————————————-

Just wondering… what team does DAVIS Beckham play for? Is he a brother or cousin of DAVID Beckham’s? Hmm. Wonder if anyone actually proofreads their articles before posting them? I think it’s in Journalism 101, not sure though.

5. hjworton46 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’d hate to think Mr. Davis gets paid actual money to write this stuff. He has my sympathy, caring about something so immaterial must be horrible.

6. bobinkc - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I have an idea: let Davy-boy go back to England and see if he can get a slot on their Olympic team (oops, sorry, he already missed that boat). Otherwise, he can be very quiet and very nice. International football is gaining nicely in the United States and I admire his contribution to that increase. However, now he is simply becoming shrill in his old age (for an athlete) and shrillness does NOT contribute to the continued increase.

Let’s continue move forward with the younger–and less-irritating–players at the forefront of the movement instead of having a whiner lead us astray in this country.

• edpeters101 - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

We are very fortunate to have David Beckham playing Soccer in the US. As with any/all good athletes, they have an attitude, and if you can’t accept that you are not a sports fan; but rather an imitation journalist!

7. jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Beckham has enough money and success that he can have it any way he wants!

8. ellicottcitylarry - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Beckham is fine and a real credit to soccer both nationally and internationally. Give the guy a break. He has a right to get po’d at times.

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap