Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 AM EST
Count Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis among the coaches who believe the Portland Timers were quick on the ax regarding John Spencer, who was fired on Monday:
What Kreis just told Extra Time Radio, the MLSSoccer.com podcast:
Many prior occasions I’ve seen coaches get fired rather quickly. I just don’t understand it. It requires a lot more patience than that. We barely made the playoffs in the second year that I was coaching. … I just had an owner that ‘got it.’ I think I was very fortunate to be working for Dave Checketts, who had spent so many years in professional sports that he just knew it was going to take some time.
So that’s a very unfortunate situation, very painful for [Spencer]. But in the end, for Spencer to be with an expansion team only a year and a half, and he almost made the playoffs his first year. That says a lot. And he was still getting good results along the way this year, against some very quality opponents … It seems to me there was something else involved. In Merritt Paulson’s comments, it seems like there was something else going on there.”
As he said, Kreis knows about this stuff, and he’s talked openly before about the big learning curve involved, about the mistakes he made early in his managerial tenure in Utah.
At just 34 years old, the league’s youngest coach, the learning curve was especially steep. But he did lead the club to the playoffs in his second year (his first full season in charge), and a year after that Kreis became the youngest manager to claim an MLS Cup.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)