Jul 15, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
Let’s hear it for Road Rules, MLS version.
Visitors went 4-3 on the showpiece night of Round 19, a pretty healthy record in a league where even the best sides might win just half their road games — and where the worst teams will sneak in a couple of road wins each year.
Sporting Kansas City, Toronto, FC Dallas and the L.A. Galaxy were the road winners last night, and all were impressive in their own way.
The Galaxy’s romp-and-stomp over Portland’s beleaguered defense was the highlight maker and big talker, of course. But Kansas City’s shutout in Columbus will keep pressure on D.C. United for Eastern supremacy.
And how’s this for a kick in the head:
F.C. Dallas was on the verge of something historic. Winless since April prior to last night’s triumph in Colorado, Schellas Hyndman’s team was flirting with a winless streak of historic proportions. It had reached 13 games by Saturday’s trip to DSG Park outside Denver.
But thanks to all the ties lately, and thanks to last night’s win, FC Dallas and manager Schellas Hyndman this morning has the league’s longest current unbeaten streak! Funny how one night can change the narrative so starkly.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 2
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose (video) 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)