Jul 15, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Landon Donovan joined the most elite of MLS fraternities last night – not that there was ever doubt he would arrive safely there.
The longtime Galaxy and U.S. international star had a goal and an assist as the Galaxy clobbered Portland’s poor, mostly defenseless defense. It was a 5-3 Stumptown beat-down.
That was Donovan’s 100th MLS assist, and that milepost is significant for a number of reasons.
Let’s dig a little deeper for a good look-see at what this means:
- First, he joins Jaime Moreno as the only player in the MLS 100-100 club. Donovan already has 122 goals.
- Donovan now sits at 122 goals and 100 assists. Moreno had 133 goals and 102 assists. If it looks like Donovan still has some catching-up to do, consider this: Moreno’s numbers were built over 340 career matches. Donovan now sits at 272, about two whole seasons fewer.
- Donovan is 30. He’s got good years left (assuming the man doesn’t grow tired of it and hop overseas or retire early or whatever). I’ve written several times that Donovan will finish as Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer. I’d bet a Whopper and fries on it. But now we have to start discussing the possibility that the first American of Southern California soccer will finish with the career king double, leadership in all-time goals and assists.
- He’ll almost surely finish second, at least. (Again, assuming an ongoing attachment to MLS). But Steve Ralston and his all-time best 135 assists is no slam dunk to reach. By averaging six or seven assists over the next four or five years, Donovan get there. That target is well within reach, but injuries, life, etc., do throw up roadblocks along the way.
- It all begs this question: If Donovan does climb to the top of both charts, can we call him the best to ever make the bulk of his career from MLS? Moreno and Dwayne De Rosario will have something to say about that – but the numbers on Donovan’s side may just be too hard to ignore.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public