Jul 16, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
It’s safe to say that manager Ben Olsen and his men from D.C. United have had quite enough of Houston and BBVA Compass Stadium, thank you very much.
Olsen’s team was the original guinea pig down in South Texas, helping Houston break the seal on their fancy new (and very orange) downtown stadium. They weren’t prepared for the heat, nor for the small field ordered by Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear, and fell that day 1-0.
They were better prepared for matters Sunday night in the last contest of a busy Round 19 in Major League Soccer. And yet …
Things unraveled rather spectacularly, and quickly. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid was shown red just 18 minutes in, for tripping Houston’s Mac Kandji on a breakaway.
Brad David hit the penalty kick, so the visitors were a man down and a goal down, still facing the Houston heat and humidity. It’s a recipe for a butt-whuppin’.
Sure enough, with all the extra space, Dynamo midfielders Luis Camargo and Geoff Cameron (starting his last game in Houston?) had time and space to absolutely pick apart United’s back line. The Dynamo finished with a 4-0 win, but for some terrible finishing this one would have looked far worse.
Enjoy the highlights as Houston takes shooting practice (23 shots, 10 on target) Sunday night.
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Brek Shea in trouble? After crazy Stoke City prank goes wrong 7
- Copa del Rey final: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid 3
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago