Jul 16, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: You forget how young Spain and Barcelona man Sergio Busquets (pictured, far right) is. I mean, a World Cup crown, a European Championship crown, all that sparkle and bling he’s earned at Camp Nou. So, let’s all not try to think too hard about our own lives and accomplishments as we consider that Busquets turns 24 today. Yep. Just 24.
Fulham and Belgian striker Moussa Dembélé turns 25.
Ahead on the blog today*: Well, a whole lot of stuff. Like thoughts on the final All-Star selections. (Who got the snub … and was it really a snub?) And some thoughts on Michael Bradley’s move to Roma, which became final on Sunday. Plus the Monday “Meh” lits and the usual MLS Player of the Week and Team of the Week. See, we didn’t lie. Lots of stuff.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Matt Jordan
Big Important Story of the Day: Michael Bradley’s move to Roma, more yesterday than today, qualifies as significant enough to bridge over from Sunday to Monday.
Big Important Story that you might have missed yesterday: While we were all talking about David Beckham’s pair of stunners, Landon Donovan’s rather quietly joined the most exclusive of MLS fraternities, the 100-100 club. (It has just one other member!) Take a look at Donovan’s latest achievement and where it leaves him on the all-time charts.
PST background noise while blogging today: I’ll probably re-watch the Galaxy-Portland match; there was so much going on in a wide-open contest, I’m sure I’ll see something important that I missed the first time around.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games