Jul 17, 2012, 9:29 AM EST
Columbus Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum is doing everything right these days. His work in goal around Crew Stadium has been impeccable. And now he’s providing a commendable case study in how professional athletes should handle little bumps in the road.
Big style points, I say, for the way he’s tamping down a little All-Star brush fire.
The background here is that Gruenebaum did not get one of two All-Star spots for goalkeepers. Those went to Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen (fan vote) and Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy (coach’s pick).
Gruenebaum deserved one of the spots. No question. So … how about a little pouting? Or shouting? Or a good, cathartic public venting through the press?
Nah. The Crew goalkeeper kept to the high road. First, he made light of it. From an interview with MLSSoccer.com:
My mom, especially, is upset. She feels like she’s devoted a lot of time to voting. She’s probably the most upset and [my wife] Lacey’s pretty devastated.”
Then he got to the business of being a stand-up guy. He defended Ben Olsen, the D.C. United manager, who is also the All-Star coach. Olsen filled out the fan-voted roster with five additional selections.
First of all, it’s an honor to even be mentioned in the same category, so that’s cool. Dan Kennedy – look at his body of work over the years. I admire and respect his game. He’s an amazing goalkeeper. You can’t really go wrong there, can you?”
He’s absolutely correct, too. Kennedy was the starting choice on my All-Star ballot.
The problem here is more about Nielsen. He’s a quality goalkeeper, of course, but he hasn’t had the same outstanding season Gruenebaum has. It’s not particularly his fault; Sporting Kansas City’s defense simply has not given Nielsen as much work.
But fan voting, as we know, is one part ability and one part popularity contest. So it is what it is.
As Gruenebaum pointed out, none of this is Olsen’s fault.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 6
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)