Jul 18, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
Donovan Ricketts was just minding his own business, hanging out in the Montreal Impact goal, probably waiting for the halftime whistle when *BAM* Lee Nguyen — fresh off a booking — took a few touches and then took a chance from distance.
The ball knuckled over the big Impact netminder, smashed off the crossbar, and rebounded right into Rickett’s right leg… then into the net.
Totally unlucky. But totally sweet.
Alexi Lalas called the Revolution midfielder’s goal — his third of the season – a “velocity chip.” We like that. The Big Ginger has a way with words.
Our only question: Why didn’t Nguyen pass the ball to the wide open man on his right? It’s a darn good thing that shot went in, otherwise he’d have some explaining to do. Classic “nononoyessssss!” shot. Sometimes, you can be lucky and good.
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 2
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona