Jul 19, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
David Beckham is clearly a motivated man these days. Ever since news came out that he would not be a Team Great Britain member at this year’s Summer Games, the former England international has been on a serious tear, as if he has a point to prove.
And it’s a goal-scoring tear, which isn’t really his thing. Beckham, of course, is a set-up artist and restart taker extraordinaire, but he’s never been a goal-scorer per se. With 13 goals in his first 87 MLS games, the Galaxy midfielder was scoring about once every 6.5 games.
Well, he has four goals in the Galaxy’s last three games.
- The former England captain was responsible for one of L.A.’s goals in a June 30 loss at Western Conference-leading San Jose.
- Beckham struck two absolute beauties in a 5-3 win over the weekend at Portland.
- Last night in Vancouver, Beckham’s deflected shot started a late, two-goal rally on the road, as the Galaxy split the points in a 2-2 tie at B.C. Place.
Here are highlights from last night’s match in Vancouver, as the Galaxy improved their hold on fifth place, the Western Conference final playoff spot.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte