Jul 19, 2012, 7:00 AM EST
Birthdays of Note: Nenê turns 31. If someone can find video of his new teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic singing him happy birthday, we will give them pretty much anything. (Bonus: Dutch football club Feyenoord was founded on this day in 1908.)
Big Important Story of the Day: How will teams react to the midweek fixtures? Will the Red Bulls, fresh off an exhausting 1-0 victory over Chicago in 100-degree heat, have anything left when a rejuvenated Philadelphia Union squad invade RBA on Saturday? Can Portland, reeling after two straight losses, recover from a bruising game with Chivas USA to put up a fight against lowly Dallas? Can we keep asking questions at such a rate?
What we should all be watching on TV: Did you miss Seattle Sounders-Chelsea last night? If so, ESPN Deportes at 1 p.m. If not, I’m not sure. Maybe “Friends” re-runs? Or highlights from last night? Yeah do that; highlights from last night it is.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steve Sampson
San Jose Earthquakes media man Frank Stranzl with a fun fact:
Opta Jack gives TFC a little love:
PST background noise while blogging today: The Verve “Bittersweet Symphony” on repeat. It’s just that kind of day.
We’ll leave you with this:
Thierry Henry, once more with feeling.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0