Jul 19, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
Birthdays of Note: Nenê turns 31. If someone can find video of his new teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic singing him happy birthday, we will give them pretty much anything. (Bonus: Dutch football club Feyenoord was founded on this day in 1908.)
Big Important Story of the Day: How will teams react to the midweek fixtures? Will the Red Bulls, fresh off an exhausting 1-0 victory over Chicago in 100-degree heat, have anything left when a rejuvenated Philadelphia Union squad invade RBA on Saturday? Can Portland, reeling after two straight losses, recover from a bruising game with Chivas USA to put up a fight against lowly Dallas? Can we keep asking questions at such a rate?
What we should all be watching on TV: Did you miss Seattle Sounders-Chelsea last night? If so, ESPN Deportes at 1 p.m. If not, I’m not sure. Maybe “Friends” re-runs? Or highlights from last night? Yeah do that; highlights from last night it is.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steve Sampson
San Jose Earthquakes media man Frank Stranzl with a fun fact:
Opta Jack gives TFC a little love:
PST background noise while blogging today: The Verve “Bittersweet Symphony” on repeat. It’s just that kind of day.
We’ll leave you with this:
Thierry Henry, once more with feeling.
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 1
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1