Jul 19, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
Birthdays of Note: Nenê turns 31. If someone can find video of his new teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic singing him happy birthday, we will give them pretty much anything. (Bonus: Dutch football club Feyenoord was founded on this day in 1908.)
Big Important Story of the Day: How will teams react to the midweek fixtures? Will the Red Bulls, fresh off an exhausting 1-0 victory over Chicago in 100-degree heat, have anything left when a rejuvenated Philadelphia Union squad invade RBA on Saturday? Can Portland, reeling after two straight losses, recover from a bruising game with Chivas USA to put up a fight against lowly Dallas? Can we keep asking questions at such a rate?
What we should all be watching on TV: Did you miss Seattle Sounders-Chelsea last night? If so, ESPN Deportes at 1 p.m. If not, I’m not sure. Maybe “Friends” re-runs? Or highlights from last night? Yeah do that; highlights from last night it is.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steve Sampson
San Jose Earthquakes media man Frank Stranzl with a fun fact:
Opta Jack gives TFC a little love:
PST background noise while blogging today: The Verve “Bittersweet Symphony” on repeat. It’s just that kind of day.
We’ll leave you with this:
Thierry Henry, once more with feeling.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 7
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1