Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
It was a strange night in Major League Soccer from the shot spot – the 12-yard penalty kick mark, that is.
Each occurrence of PK strangeness, with the pictures to prove it:
In Montreal …Patrice Bernier stepped up and slotted home. Then he did it again. And then one more time.
As Bernier ran up on his first shot, referee Fotis Bazakos noticed Matt Reis not standing on his line but, oddly, inside the goal. Bazakos blew the whistle about the time Bernier was shooting.
Take Two: Bernier put his PK home – but Bazakos ruled he had stopped and restarted his run-up, a legal no-no. By now, everyone should be thinking, “C’mon, guys. It’s a penalty kick. We’ve done this before!”
Take Three: With everything sorted out just so, the Impact midfielder made a good and proper run-up and gave his team a 1-0 lead.
In Toronto …Ryan Johnson’s penalty kick eluded Colorado’s Matt Pickens but banged off the goal post. Going into Wednesday’s full schedule of games, MLS men had converted 35 of 43 attempts (81 percent). That was only the third to be missed wide, high or off the post.
In San Jose …Chris Wondolowski connected from the 12-yard spot. It would have been his 18th goal this year as “Wondo” continues to distance himself from the field in the Golden Boot chase. But Justin Morrow got into the penalty area too early. Way too early. Dallas’ Kevin Hartman saved Wondolowski’s ensuing effort. That, by the way, was Hartman’s third save on four penalty kick attempts this year.
Said Wondolowski, who continues to stand on 17 goals: “I have to make it. It’s a shot from 12 yards out. It doesn’t matter if I have to take the shot five times over, I have to make it each time. It could have killed off the game, but it gave them a little bit of hope. We have to finish them off there.”
Also in San Jose …Dallas had an opportunity to equalize with a stoppage time PK. We talked about that one here.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs