Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
It was a strange night in Major League Soccer from the shot spot – the 12-yard penalty kick mark, that is.
Each occurrence of PK strangeness, with the pictures to prove it:
In Montreal …Patrice Bernier stepped up and slotted home. Then he did it again. And then one more time.
As Bernier ran up on his first shot, referee Fotis Bazakos noticed Matt Reis not standing on his line but, oddly, inside the goal. Bazakos blew the whistle about the time Bernier was shooting.
Take Two: Bernier put his PK home – but Bazakos ruled he had stopped and restarted his run-up, a legal no-no. By now, everyone should be thinking, “C’mon, guys. It’s a penalty kick. We’ve done this before!”
Take Three: With everything sorted out just so, the Impact midfielder made a good and proper run-up and gave his team a 1-0 lead.
In Toronto …Ryan Johnson’s penalty kick eluded Colorado’s Matt Pickens but banged off the goal post. Going into Wednesday’s full schedule of games, MLS men had converted 35 of 43 attempts (81 percent). That was only the third to be missed wide, high or off the post.
In San Jose …Chris Wondolowski connected from the 12-yard spot. It would have been his 18th goal this year as “Wondo” continues to distance himself from the field in the Golden Boot chase. But Justin Morrow got into the penalty area too early. Way too early. Dallas’ Kevin Hartman saved Wondolowski’s ensuing effort. That, by the way, was Hartman’s third save on four penalty kick attempts this year.
Said Wondolowski, who continues to stand on 17 goals: “I have to make it. It’s a shot from 12 yards out. It doesn’t matter if I have to take the shot five times over, I have to make it each time. It could have killed off the game, but it gave them a little bit of hope. We have to finish them off there.”
Also in San Jose …Dallas had an opportunity to equalize with a stoppage time PK. We talked about that one here.
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 0
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)