Jul 20, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthday: Back in the day, we used to argue this and that about the United States national team. This was about 10 years ago, give or take. We’d fuss and fight about which formations worked and why the attack sometimes stalled and why the team was capable of such wild swings of form. In a lot of ways, though, it was so simple:
It was really about whether Claudio Reyna was on the field. When he was around to run the show, things just worked better.
Reyna turns 39 today.
Big Important Story of the Day: Soccer just doesn’t seem all that big and important this morning.
Ahead on the blog today*: We’ll check in on the U.S. Olympic team five days ahead of their opener. We’ll take a look at one of the big matches coming up in MLS Round 20. And we’re watching out for any MLS suspensions that might drop ahead of Saturday’s round of contests.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Dante Washington
PST background noise while blogging today: Planning to check out Happy Sexy From The 212 By SOLLI. That’s the Soundcloud mix from NY Red Bulls defender Jan Gunnar Solli, who moonlights as a DJ.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago