Jul 20, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
Tobin Heath is homeless.
That’s one of the things we learned from U.S. Soccer’s latest Studio 90 video, an interview with the U.S. Women’s National Team attacker whose increasing playing time makes her a key component of the gold medal holders’ defense.
Other things we learned from Extra Time:
- Tobin supports Arsenal and is a general European soccer nut;
- She just found out her vision’s pretty bad, which
- Explains those glasses, part of a nuevo hipster chiche (seen once in the video) that
- She may have picked up in Brooklyn, where her possessions are stored at her sister’s place (the closest thing Tobin has to a home right now).
We also find out:
- Alex Morgan is slightly competitve, and,
- Tobin sees pool as a charitable endeavor.
You heard the allusion to Tobin’s playing time. She’s one of a number of next generation players who will play an important part in retaining the U.S.’s gold medal. Some of those players, we saw the Germany (Lauren Cheney, Alex Morgan, and Ali Krieger, who will miss the tournament with a knee injury). For others, this will be the first time they are either on the team or coming into a major competition with an established, important roles (Alex Morgan, Heath, Kelley O’Hara, Sydney Leroux).
By Canada 2015, a handful of the team’s veterans will have moved on. Christie Rampone, Shannon Boxx, and Heather Mitts will likely be retired. Amy LePielbet and Carli Lloyd will each be 33. Abby Wambach will be 35.
Between this summer and the next World Cup, Heath and company will take over the core of the national team. The Olympics will be their first chance to show they’re capable of carrying on.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 7
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 27
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (27)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team