Jul 22, 2012, 12:55 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Fabian Espindola, for the 75 minutes he was in, was just too much for Colorado. You’d think a defense with Marvell Wynne wouldn’t have trouble keeping up with anybody, but Espindola’s speed combined with a relentless work rate to snap Colorado. A lazy backpass from Wynne late in the first half led to the winning goal, with Espindola beating Matt Pickens to a ball that ended up as a tap in for Alvaro Saborio.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Colorado seemed disorganized at the back all night. Their normal central pair of Marvell Wynne and Drew Moor was broken up with Moor at right back, Tyrone Marshall taking his spot at left center half. With new acquisition Tyson Wahl at left back, the Rapids were without their first choice at three positions.
- That may also explain why Alvaro Saborio had a standout night, but don’t undersell the Costa Rican’s effort. Like Espindola, his work produced a goal for a teammate, with the RSL number nine moving Marshall of the ball late in the match, setting up an insurance tally for Will Johnson.
- Espindola and Saborio’s were part of a series of good performances from RSL players. Javier Morales is slowly returning to his pre-ankle break self. Johnson had a goal, Yordany Alvarez had a strong night filling in for Kyle Beckerman, and the back five was their usual, impenetrable selves, holding Colorado without a shot on goal.
- All those stand out performances would have provided to a more lopsided score on another night. Colorado, however, didn’t play bad, and were it not for their two brain freezes at the back, they may have been able to hold out. There was little chance of them scoring, however, given how conservatively Oscar Pareja’s team played.
- Edu started alone up top, with Omar Cummings coming off the bench. When the Jamaican international came on in the second half, he showed why he should have played 90. Martin Rivero was supposed to provide the link to Edu, but it never materialized. Neither Tony Cascio and Jaime Castrillion put a shot toward goal (let alone on).
- Just as Columbus’s Saturday win was very Crew-y, Real Salt Lake’s was very RSL-y. It was a controlled performance, one where they kept their opponents under constant pressure (without leaving themselves exposed), ultimately forcing some decisive mistakes.
- The result: RSL retains the Rocky Mountain Cup, given to the winner of the teams’ season series. It is the sixth straight season Real Salt Lake has claimed the honor.
- With the win, RSL opens up an eight point lead on Seattle and Vancouver for second place in the West. They are also tied for the second-best record in Major League Soccer. While securing that spot wouldn’t give them home field in a potential MLS Cup final, it would allow them to control their own destiny. After all, they would get their chance at the Earthquakes before the December championship game.
May 24, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
When Bayern Munich face Borussia Dortmund tomorrow at 2:45 ET at Wembley, they won’t be playing for a ticket into the elite. They won’t be playing for the right to be recognized as permanent contenders. They’ve already done both of those. The path each of these bitter German rivals took to get to the final…
May 24, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Which individual battles will determine which side lifts the UEFA Champions League trophy at Wembley on Saturday?
May 24, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
We take a look at which US cities deserve an MLS expansion franchise and how close they are to getting it. Thoughts?
May 24, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Would Cole be a good pickup for Major League Soccer sides looking to cement their playoff aspirations?
May 24, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
The first-ever all-German UEFA Champions League final is one day away, take a look at our infographic to see which side has the edge.
May 24, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Christie Rampone and Sky Blue FC try to stay atop the NWSL Saturday in Overland Park.
May 23, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Manchester City overcame a 3-goal deficit at Busch Stadium in St. Louis as Edin Dzeko bagged a brace to beat Chelsea 4-3.
May 23, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Just days after Jose Mourinho mutually parted ways with Real Madrid, he will be completing a deal to become Chelsea’s next manager, says Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports via Twitter.
May 23, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez has given himself more time to decide on his future at Wigan, and also gave them a wish list.
May 23, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Asmir Begovic is apparently intending on showing up at the door of another club to start training.
May 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
AS Monaco, rich with the injection of money from a Russian tycoon, are set to make a huge splash, possibly as much as €70 million.
May 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The United States U-18 squad drew with the hosts in the middle of three group-stage matches during the 19th Annual Lisbon International Juniors Tournament.
May 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
20-year-old Jonathan Osorio picked up his debut call-up to the Canadian national team along with three other Toronto FC teammates ahead of their friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday.
May 23, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
“Football clubs live on and we’ll live on, we’ll move on.” They’ll move on, they have to. But will they effectively?
May 23, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
With the upcoming Champions League final this weekend featuring an all-German cast, Germany secured another massive Champions League achievement today.
May 23, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Anyone else bothered by the way Bayern Munich have conducted themselves ahead of this Saturday’s Champions League final?
May 23, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Sunderland’s central defender will say goodbye to the English Premier League in exchange for a switch stateside.
May 23, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Chelsea fans will be delighted, while those supporting Manchester City are sure to question who’s on their team’s mind.
May 23, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Should the champions of the Europa League be awarded a spot in the following season’s Champions League?
May 23, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The city’s decision to permit Columbus to wear angers Espanyol fans, who believe Barca receives too much support from local institutions.
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 6
- Three MLS sides chasing Carlton Cole? 0
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional