Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthday: Anybody remember Luis Ángel Landín? Ask a Houston Dynamo fan; they’ll give you an earful about that dude. Either way, Landin turns 27 on Monday.
About the photo: Our man Shawn Francis, friend to soccer in the United States, shows everyone the swell view from his temporary office. Bragger.
Big Important Story of the Day: Journalists are arriving in waves at the Olympics. Check out Arlo White’s shot of the stunning St. Pancras Station. So, Olympic soccer will soon be under the five-ringed glow; the U.S. team starts Wednesday against France.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Zak Ibsen
Ahead on the blog today*: It’s MLS All-Star week, so we’ll be checking in from Philadelphia with All-Star game “this” and All-Star game “that.” We’ll have the MLS Team of the Week and Player of the Week, plus the popular Monday “Meh” list.
PST background noise while blogging today: iTunes MLS All-Star mix while traveling through airports. Now, excuse me while I create an “MLS All-Star mix,” whatever that is. Probably a lot of Philly bands, I suppose.
We’ll leave you with this: I was super excited yesterday to see some soccer from Wrigley Field in Chicago. I mean … soccer! At Wrigley Field in Chicago!
But that field was stinkin’ ridiculous. It was 62 yards wide and chopped up like a $2 beefsteak by the baseball configurations. I suppose I’m not sure what I expected, but here’s the bottom line: if we can’t find a reasonable places for these guys (the high-dollar men of Roma, Liverpool, etc.) to show what they can do, what’s the point?
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public