Jul 24, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Looks like Leo Messi will miss Barcelona’s first game in charge under new boss Tito Vilanova, who took over this year for Pep Guardiola.
Messi suffered a slight calf injury in the team’s last practice before leaving for Hamburg, where the Catalan giants are set to play at the Imtech Arena as part of the German club’s 125 anniversary celebration.
Barca has four more preseason friendlies before the La Liga season begins. Next up is a weekend contest against Raja Athletic Club in Spain.
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 1
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public