Jul 26, 2012, 8:15 AM EDT
Eddie Johnson’s stoppage time goal gave MLS their first All-Star Game win since 2008, and it was nowhere near the team’s best goal of the night. Swift movements into attack created goals for Chris Wondolowski and game MVP Chris Pontius, with MLS posting their biggest victory in the annual event since downing José Mourinho’s version of Chelsea in 2006.
Here are the highlights:
While this Chelsea team is not as good as the well-drilled machine José Mourinho assembled, their run to (and through) Munich last year puts “reigning European champions” on the company letterhead. Johnson’s 91st minute goal gave MLS’s all-starts their first win over a Champions League holder.
Johnson’s 91st minute tally also highlighted a slight worry for Chelsea. Where Paris Saint-Germain’s speed gave the Chelsea defense problems in the first half at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, Eddie Johnson’s burst onto Kyle Beckerman’s ball caught the Blues off guard. David Luiz kept the Sounder striker onside before the Brazilian defender was turned, eventually providing the deflection that allowed Johnson’s chance to decide the game.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago