Jul 27, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Soccer birthdays: Talk about a guy whose career fell off the table. Sidney Govou, a former French international and critical piece at those sensational Lyon teams of the last decade, moved to Panathinaikos before the 2010-11 season. Things just went south in a hurry from there. He appeared in just 23 matches for the financially troubled Greek club, which suspended him twice for disciplinary reasons. Govou made just 18 league appearances last year Evian as he returned to the French league. He turns 33 today.
Big Important Story of the Day: The Olympic opening ceremonies will dominate sports talk today. Soccer has already started, of course; soccer is cool like that.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Ian Feuer
Ahead on the blog today*: Olympic matters and plenty on Major League Soccer, which begins Round 21 with a big match in Salt Lake City, a meeting of the Western Conference’s second and third place teams.
PST background noise while blogging today: Rockin’ any British bands on the iTunes rotation, in five-ringed celebration of the Opening Ceremonies.
About the picture (above, at top of the post): We still don’t now what role David Beckham will play in the Opening Ceremonies, but they can’t keep it a secret much longer.
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 1