Jul 28, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Shannon Boxx has been ruled out of the United States’ second group stage clash today against Colombia. Fear not.
The seasoned midfielder sustained a hamstring injury in the early stages of the U.S.’s match against France on Wednesday.
Cause for concern? Not really. In fact it feels like déjà vu. Boxx was also dropped for the U.S.’s second group stage match at the 2011 World Cup against… you guessed it, Colombia.
The California native looked worryingly weary after the team’s opening World Cup match against North Korea last summer. So much so that Pia Sundhage elected to drop her in favor of the more attack-minded Lori Lindsey for the next match. The move paid off as the U.S. put together one of its most dominant performances of the year – albeit against a relative lightweight.
Boxx has been enjoying a solid 2012 thus far. She remains the squad’s first-choice defensive midfielder thanks to her tenacious work disrupting offenses. But if there was ever a convenient match to miss, it would probably be this one.
Look for Carli Lloyd to get the start ahead of Boxx. Lloyd – recently demoted to the bench – hushed her detractors with Wednesday’s performance in which she scored the go-ahead goal and had an influential second half.
The U.S. hammered Colombia 3-0 in that World Cup match. The gulf in class was hard to ignore. Sundhage’s team will be geared up for a repeat performance today – Boxx or no Boxx.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final