Jul 29, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
The San Jose Earthquakes keep one-upping themselves during their year of dramatic rallies.
This time it took 8 minutes of stoppage time for Steven Lenhart to dig up the equalizer and rescue a point in a 1-1 draw with Chicago at Buck Shaw. And this time, Frank Yallop’s men manufactured the rally with just 10 men; Alan Gordon (the Quakes most frequent late-game scorer) was sent off just before the end of regulation time for a bad tackle.
The other story here was sensational goalkeeping. San Jose’s Jon Busch was quite good, but Chicago’s Sean Johnson (pictured) was amazing. The young ‘keeper has struggled at times this year, but we may be talking more about his fabulous night in San Jose; this has Player of the Week written all over it.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public