Jul 29, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
You can read all the facts, figures, nuts and bolts about Honduras’ massive upset over Spain in Olympic soccer. May I suggest you start studying Sunday’s shocking Spanish elimination here.
Meanwhile, a foursome of points to consider:
- Honduras is no stranger to big-time soccer anymore. Two summers back, the little Central American nation was in South Africa, participating in its second World Cup.
- Major League Soccer players had a lot to say about this one. Roger Espinoza (Sporting Kansas City) provided the assist to goal scorer Jerry Bengtson (New England) on the game’s only goal. D.C. United’s Andy Najar (pictured Sunday, in white) was involved in the Honduran goal as well, working a give-and-go to help set Espinoza free.
- Spain was second favorite to claim Olympic gold, behind only Brazil, according to oddsmakers.
- The Spanish embarrassed themselves at the end Sunday, surrounding the referee more than once, lashing out and generally acting like overheated children. It all smelled a little of entitlement. Yes, there may have been a penalty missed in there. And, yes, the Hondurans wasted a lot of time feigning injury. But the bottom line is that Spain didn’t score a goal over 90 minutes – and that is certainly no referee’s fault.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public