Jul 30, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Not sure what this picture Alex Morgan just posted on her Twitter page might do for her larger Q Quotient. Maybe nothing.
But there is a segment of the population who will wince a mighty wince at seeing U.S. Soccer’s burgeoning scoring superstar – Have you seen those crazy-whack numbers she’s posting? – in a Manchester United jersey.
Manchester United is a global brand, of course, one of the world’s king-daddy clubs. (And not just in soccer, but all sports).
But like all dominant brands (Yankees, Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc.), along with the rolling waves of grand recognition and success comes a competing tsunami of red-faced animus.
You know what I mean; lots of people cannot stand the Yankees, Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc.
Maybe in Morgan’s case, everyone will just realize the young U.S. goal-getter is simply jazzed about playing at such a storied ground, Old Trafford, home to mighty Man United! (I’m guessing it will go that way.) Her U.S. Olympic soccer team meets North Korea there in Tuesday’s final group stage contest.
The Americans have already qualified for elimination play.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team