Jul 30, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
With the European season quickly approaching, we’re entering into “so much news, so little time” ground.” Besides, Steve and I can’t get into the International Union of Soccer Bloggers (a.k.a., the Illuminati) without link posts.
- Manchester United have signed a new shirt sponsorship with Chevrolet that will put
$5.6$39 million per year in the Red Devil coffers through 2011 (starting with the 2014-15 season). GM has since fired its global marketing chief for failing to report financial details.
- Last week, we talked up the significant of Carles Puyol’s return to Barcelona training. Today, he got the all-clear to resume full workouts.
- Yesterday: Sporting director. Today: Youth coach. Tomorrow: Zinedine Zidane could have Didier Deschamps’ job with France. He’s on his way.
- Robert Lewandowski is looking to cash in on his second year with Borussia Dortmund, which has always been the plan.
- Former WPS star Alex Scott talks about seeing her birthplace transformed to host the summer Olympics.
- Luc Castaignos is moving back to the Netherlands after a shot stay with Inter Milan. The former Feyenoord striker is going to Twente. Initial price: €6 million.
- Following up on our review of Mexico’s second round, the league captures the color of this weekend’s action.
- And Women United FC was at Steven Lenhart tribute night. Enjoy your nightmares.
- South America expert Joel Richards tweets on the shell game going on in Argentina. An ex-Everton man moves to San Lorenzo while a former Boca man may move to River. Or France. Who knows.
- And a reminder that Rio Ferdinand, scourge of English Football Association decency, was once and still is very good at playing soccer.
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public