Jul 30, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
If we hadn’t had enough fun with Twitter for one day, the men’s Olympic soccer tournament is here to oblige with another sigh-inducing incident. Michel Morganella, unknown to most of the world, gets his few moments of global fame after Switzerland sent him home for one of the worst tweets ever posted to a professional athlete’s account.
Granted, I’m no expert in athlete behavior on social media (hopefully nobody is), but when you lose to the Republic of Korea and take to your handle to say “I want to beat up all South Koreans” labeling them a bunch “of mentally handicapped retards”, it doesn’t get much worse.
The 23-year-old Palermo player has since committed Twitter seppuku, presumably right before he started walking back to Switzerland. He’s been kicked off the team ahead of the Swiss’ meeting with Mexico, but if he waited around for that judgment to come down, he’s dumber in real life than he was Twitter account. There’s no way any nation’s going to let a player stay after that embarrassment. Not even Switzerland can stay neutral on something like this.
While it’s not quite as amazing as the tweet itself, I’m shocked the tweet was up for as long as it was. Check out the picture linked above. Thirteen hours after the original tweet, Morganella returned to Twitter not to delete the tweet but to thank people for all their messages.
Congratulations, Palermo. He’s your problem, now.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 5
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team