Jul 30, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
Chicago Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson was about 60 seconds from putting an early end to ProSoccerTalk’s weekly, roiling debate over MLS Player of the Week.
The man was a reinforced stop-shop against San Jose; Chicago held a 1-0 lead against the best team in MLS late into the Buck Shaw Stadium night. If there had been just 7 minutes of extra time, he would have nailed it. (It’s a tough standard, I know. But we’re tough around here at ProSoccerTalk; we eat sticks for breakfast.)
Steven Lenhart did what San Jose does – scored late to rescue a point (or all three points in other cases). Johnson had 10 saves, but just couldn’t reach No. 11.
So, congratulations, Jairo Arrieta (pictured)! Columbus’ man of the moment scored twice in Kansas City, leading his team to a big upset over one of the Eastern Conference’s top teams.
Arrieta, a recent signing at Crew Stadium, hit goals in the 17th and 34th minutes. His first was a real striker’s strike, a slash into the 18 followed by two quick and aggressive touches that arranged a quality, confident finish.
The second? An absolute beauty, a half volley game-winner from about 30 yards. (Watch it below.)
By the way, this came a day after Columbus announced the singing of Argentine forward Federico Higuaín as a Designated Player. So, a front line of Higuain and Arrieta? Doesn’t that look promising as the Crew maneuvers for playoff positioning?
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014