Jul 30, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo turns 31 today. I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more about her later today on the blog, so we’ll just move on.
Besides, we have lots of big B-Days to celebrate today. U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann turns 48. And U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati turns 53. I mean, how cute is that? The two biggest figures in U.S. Soccer share a birthday!
Big Important Story of the Day: Spain has fallen in the Olympic soccer tournament (pictured), so a new champ will be crowned. Might this be the opening Brazil needs? The giants of global soccer have won all kinds of FIFA competitions, but never an Olympics.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Hugo Perez
Ahead on the blog today*: MLS Team of the Week and Player of the Week. Plus the Monday “Meh” list and a few words about all the friendlies that have washed up on our soccer shores this year.
PST background noise while blogging today: What, are you kidding? Olympics, yo! I watched some kick-ass field hockey (soccer with sticks!), some very cool volleyball and even a little table tennis yesterday. Olympics in the modern TV / internet streaming age are absolutely irresistible.
We’ll leave you with this: Field hockey now has a “self start” restart, where players can essentially just begin playing after a foul, wherever they are with the ball. Hmmmm. Now that would certainly help neutralize the scourge of tactical fouling in our game, wouldn’t it?
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 10