Aug 1, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
U.S. international Clint Dempsey has been left behind as the rest of the Cottagers squad visits Switzerland as part of its preseason program.
A club spokesman suggested that Dempsey’s fitness is not what it should be, so he’s been left behind to up-armor his strength and stamina with the youth reserves.
And if you buy that, I’ve got a spanking new, soccer specific stadium in downtown Boston that I’d love to sell you.
This is one of two things: Dempsey forcing a move from his longtime London club, or it’s the club’s choice to leave a man behind who isn’t in the plans for 2012-13, who will soon be on the move.
Because Dempsey’s fitness probably isn’t that big an issue. Forgetting for a minute that preseason is all about building fitness, Dempsey isn’t the sort to while away his summer hours at the local Hungry Heifer.
He is 100 percent about soccer, a driven sort who knows a little about fishing, knows how to support family and knows a whole lot about being a professional soccer player – and that’s about it on Dempsey’s short list of things to be passionate about.
Fitness? Yeah, I’m sure it’s fine.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona