Aug 1, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Real Salt Lake’s important center back was red carded in the 58th minute last night, reducing his team’s chances of rallying from a 1-0 deficit in their CONCACAF Champions League loss to Costa Rica’s Herediano.
This is where inferior, overly lenient quality of MLS refereeing hurts players from the league.
Borchers and some RSL backers thought the red card was soft. And perhaps it was – but here comes the caveat – by MLS standards.
Yes, Borchers probably gets away with that in MLS, where officials still too happily avert their eyes at overly physical and reckless challenges. It’s getting better, but it isn’t there yet.
So MLS players instincts and tendencies are trained one way while the international game is often called another way. You can judge for yourself, but when I saw it full speed, saw Borchers lunge in with his cleats up, I thought, “Uh-oh!”
At the very least, even RSL backers must permit this: on the road, at a place on the field where Borchers absolutely didn’t need to be so aggressive, it was a mistake to give the referee an opportunity to make a game-changing call.
That’s what I say; you make up your own mind. Here are last night’s highlights, which include three quality stops from RSL goalkeeper Nick RImando, plus some opportunities that RSL simply must convert if they want to be CONCACAF big dogs.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England